Skip to main content

#Stigma and the perfect comback #HAWMC

Tell us about a time when you felt marginalized or stigmatized by someone because of your health condition. Maybe at the time you didn’t speak up, or maybe you did – what did you say or what would you have said to take back control and let them know they were out of line? 





 The times that I felt the most stigma was when I was working before my long term leave before I was transferred to a new location. I don't like to name companies simply because I still work for them now and they might believe I am slandering their name. It is not that really. More so it is a lack of training in how managers should respond and act towards people with disabilities.

In my case, they didn't even consider me to have a disability they could help me with or accommodate... because it wasn't 'physical'. So that is a limited view of disability. I offered a lot of compromises to get me through this real rough time I was having with pain and medications but all of them were declined. That left me unable to do anything but push through the pain full time. And when I could not, when I missed too many days. I got ultimatums. Miss a day... and there will be this dire consequence. Other vague threats as well... like since I was disabled and the economy being as it is I will be the first to be laid off so I should just do better to show that I am better. But I was Not better.

It was all extremely stressful for me. Unable to work full-time but having to work full-time. Always failing and calling in sick at least a few times a month. And feeling insanely guilty about it.

I wanted to say when I go on a short term leave, which I had done more than once, I do not come back cured. I still have this chronic condition chronically. I wanted to say that you need to treat people with disabilities with respect. And to motivate. Not ultimatums and threats, because we are already really stressed out about something we cannot control and it is not helping by forcing us to do something we still cannot control. I would suggest they rather think about some of the compromises I offered, which are reasonable for someone who is disabled and unable to function fully but would be able to be much more to their capacity with some changes. Not forever, but until they got the treatment they needed to cope with their condition. I wanted to say there is Nothing Wrong with making compromises in the short term to benefit the health of your employee. Rather than threats and ultimatums, painting them into a corner where they get so stressed them pay feel hopeless, desperate and suicidal... as I did.

I am not sure if it was management or upper management. Either way I would tell them to consider more options for disabled employees. When they are at their worst they do need some extra support. Not to be diminished, made to feel like it is their fault they are ill, and that they are letting down every conceivable person they work with and deal with as a customer by missing work.  People with chronic pain and other illness have a high rate of suicide. Makes more sense to motivate and accommodate, than it does to break down and threaten when you may be making someone who already feels bad just that much worse.

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Signs the pain is getting the best of you

100 Symptoms of Fibromyalgia

There was a site that had this and I had linked to it on Tumblr but it is gone. So I had to hunt down someone who found my post and posted the whole thing in a forum. Anyway it is around but I'm posting it here so I will not have to hunt it down to reference it. Now we all know the major symptoms are the wide-spread pain, but our pain isn't just muscle pain... it can be nerve types of pain as well, and the fatigue and the insomnia. And even among symptoms there are some far more frequent than others, but it should be said we have categories... like the cognitive dysfunction, which is a broad one that has more than one symptom and we often just say fibrofog. The insomnia... more than one sleeping disorder. So the list is interesting.




GENERAL
__ Fatigue, made worse by physical exertion or stress
__ Activity level decreased to less than 50% of pre-illness activity level
__ Recurrent flu-like illness
__ Sore throat
__ Hoarseness
__ Tender or swollen lymph nodes (glands), especiall…

Getting through the high intensity pain flares #Blogboost

The crowded me out of the brain. Making no room for anything else. Distraction was impossible. You feel almost frantic with the pain but must be still.

What do you do? To get through it when you have no distraction?

I ask me this as I am really in the depths of a 9 level frantic level of pain right now. Hoping maybe some writing will be a distraction, but it isn't. As I said, the pain crowds the brain. I have to focus real hard to write and my head isn't clear. Too much pain to focus well. Things become quite difficult to do. 

I will say this: We cannot function. We have to just cope with the pain.

But we are Immersed in the pain, we what do we do?
We can and should rest and get through it the best we can. Here are some of the things I do to get through it.

Relaxation breathing: I can't meditate when in high levels of pain. It just makes me think about how much pain I am in. Just not a good idea. But I do do relaxation breathing. I close my eyes. I focus on my breathing. I even…