Skip to main content

Emotional wellbeing, good days and bad


Here is to being authentic. Actually I take pride in that trait and value it in others as well.

However, when I read this quote I thought about chronic illness and the way at times when I am in just the right frame of mind I can frame my struggle in a positive manner. Then things like 'overcome' and 'endure' and 'transform' and being 'greater than my suffering' are all things that can come to mind. Along with perserverance and patience.






Because we have positive coping traits. We can talk about all these characteristics of how we cope with illness that are positive in some way or another. The illness itself is not enjoyable, but we have adapted in certain ways, that are in fact positive. On these days I feel like I have made some sort of progress or achieved some sort of balance. I feel in a good place, despite my pain. I feel like pain is not stealing my life from me. I can look objectively at my life and actually see what I should be grateful for. I can be creatively inspired by the pain itself in fact and have been. And really I feel like my part history with my chronic illness at least has given me experience to cope with my current state of being. That I would never be able to cope with the pain as is without learning as I have in the past to cope as I have. And each of those coping strategies has a lot of value to it.

However, on my bad days, I sure can point out all the negative characteristics of chronic illness and negative coping strategies and all the sucky things that go with this. Some things just are not positive. Hell... 'endure' is not positive when taken 'forever'. Then it just bites the big one. While sometimes I feel that I am greater than my suffering and pretty much take things in stride... other times I am just a big ball of suffering and it can really just get to me. Pain can steal my cool. It can steal my energy. It can steal my sleep. It just takes and takes and I feel like an empty shell walking around wondering what happened to me. Pain generally makes for more bad days than good. It just makes it harder to see the good. Which is why I feel we have to consciously make an effort to raise our moods, because it is just so easy to fall into a negative state of mind or even just a pain hazed one.




I don't really feel we can make ourselves be happy. Or that thinking warm fuzzy positive thoughts is that beneficial. However I have read enough studies to know with chronic pain and chronic illness maintaining our mood is difficult and worth the effort. Something I constantly struggle with.

There have been a lot of things I have read. Like if you smile, even if you are not in the mood to, your brain still releases happy hormones... so even faking a smile can boost your mood. Which is why I always find having a facade at work where I can smile and joke around lifts my mood a little. Whether it is because I am convincing my own brain I am in a good mood or providing some necessary distance from my own pain, it is something I find necessary. But other things are things like exercise... even taking a short walk. Watching funny videos every day... like funny cat videos and such. Starting a gratitude journal and writing down at least one thing you are grateful for each day. This is because for every negative thought we have it takes at least three positive to replace it, so at least thinking about and writing down one positive thing a day will help boost your mood.

There are actually more things likely than this. Little fuzzy headed today. I work on a lot of cognitive therapy as well. So actively replacing negative thoughts with more rational positive thoughts and thinking about those negative thoughts and why they are not rational thinking. Just to help with my emotional health. There are a lot of things we say to ourselves with chronic pain that get skewed by the pain. I have posted about this before. (Here is an article I wrote about that for reference: Chronic pain and cognitive therapy: taking care of your emotional health)
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Signs the pain is getting the best of you

100 Symptoms of Fibromyalgia

There was a site that had this and I had linked to it on Tumblr but it is gone. So I had to hunt down someone who found my post and posted the whole thing in a forum. Anyway it is around but I'm posting it here so I will not have to hunt it down to reference it. Now we all know the major symptoms are the wide-spread pain, but our pain isn't just muscle pain... it can be nerve types of pain as well, and the fatigue and the insomnia. And even among symptoms there are some far more frequent than others, but it should be said we have categories... like the cognitive dysfunction, which is a broad one that has more than one symptom and we often just say fibrofog. The insomnia... more than one sleeping disorder. So the list is interesting.




GENERAL
__ Fatigue, made worse by physical exertion or stress
__ Activity level decreased to less than 50% of pre-illness activity level
__ Recurrent flu-like illness
__ Sore throat
__ Hoarseness
__ Tender or swollen lymph nodes (glands), especiall…

When I say I am good

When people ask me how I am feeling 99% of the time I am lying. I often say 'not bad', because I feel it is slightly more honest than 'good' or 'fine'. Got sick of fine. Anyway, I lie for many reasons. 



I'm having a good pain day: They happen and I'll say that I'm good, fine, not bad. I even feel like I can accomplish great things... in moderation. In which case, relatively speaking, for Me I am not actually lying. This is a Good pain day, it is Not Bad for me and I am Fine with it. I just don't want to explain: I just don't want to explain how crappy I feel and in which way I mean. Because I am tired of it. I just want to deal with it, without having to discuss it, mention it or have any sympathy expressed about it. Because it can be complicated. It may be a migraine with specific symptoms. Maybe it is a FM flare though. Or both. And then I have to explain what it is because most people think my migraines are the main issue but I could be FM…