Skip to main content

Maintaining consistency... is a good goal to have



Don't take this as pity, but fact. Chronic illness has taught me to really decrease my ambition and I am the sort that creates goals and has ambitions. A person at work asked me about my career goals and I told him flat out after coming back from a long term leave of absence I was looking forward to some employment consistency. As in maintaining. If I can maintain, I will be content.

Because I am really not allowed to have aspirations for more than that. It would be complicated. It would require further study. It would mean more stress. Stress means strain on the body. Strain on the body and stress means more pain. Lack of balance could mean a lot more pain. And a lot of time to get any sense of stability back... if ever. The last thing I want to do is rock the boat at all. But of course I have ideas of where I want to be in five years. Of course I would normally want to make progress. But, not in this body. In this body, I want to maintain.

Part of me loathes this. I had such dreams for myself that I could never attain due to chronic pain causing more and more of a complication in my life. I will always wonder what that life would have been like. This alternate reality of mine where I could have attained those goals and a career that I wanted. Or in the general area even. The road not traveled.

Part of me though is really practical. I realize I will have these chronic conditions Forever. Managing stress, understanding limits and moderating my activities is part of the game plan. Therefore choosing a job that fits in with that... as best as that is even possible is what is necessary. At a certain point, like now, I have to be satisfied with my progress because the stresses of advancement simply do not make any logical sense. Income is satisfactory...ish. Not great, but not horrible. It is in fact hard enough to work At All with chronic pain conditions. It is very easy to make it harder than it needs to be. I would like to make it as easy as possible.

I like the benefits of working. The fact it gets me out of the house and socializing. The income stability. Helping customers. The stimulation every day.

However, there is a point in your life with chronic illness when you just know that working is not all there is to life. Not all there is to your wellbeing and health. There are important considerations you need to think of to keep balance in your life. I want to sustain some sort of balance and maintain the work I have. And that is a goal worthy of having. Nothing more, nothing less.

We will always think about what could have been. Mourn who we were. What we could have been. But we are Not that person. We are an entirely different person. With different strengths. And we need different goals.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Signs the pain is getting the best of you

100 Symptoms of Fibromyalgia

There was a site that had this and I had linked to it on Tumblr but it is gone. So I had to hunt down someone who found my post and posted the whole thing in a forum. Anyway it is around but I'm posting it here so I will not have to hunt it down to reference it. Now we all know the major symptoms are the wide-spread pain, but our pain isn't just muscle pain... it can be nerve types of pain as well, and the fatigue and the insomnia. And even among symptoms there are some far more frequent than others, but it should be said we have categories... like the cognitive dysfunction, which is a broad one that has more than one symptom and we often just say fibrofog. The insomnia... more than one sleeping disorder. So the list is interesting.




GENERAL
__ Fatigue, made worse by physical exertion or stress
__ Activity level decreased to less than 50% of pre-illness activity level
__ Recurrent flu-like illness
__ Sore throat
__ Hoarseness
__ Tender or swollen lymph nodes (glands), especiall…

When I say I am good

When people ask me how I am feeling 99% of the time I am lying. I often say 'not bad', because I feel it is slightly more honest than 'good' or 'fine'. Got sick of fine. Anyway, I lie for many reasons. 



I'm having a good pain day: They happen and I'll say that I'm good, fine, not bad. I even feel like I can accomplish great things... in moderation. In which case, relatively speaking, for Me I am not actually lying. This is a Good pain day, it is Not Bad for me and I am Fine with it. I just don't want to explain: I just don't want to explain how crappy I feel and in which way I mean. Because I am tired of it. I just want to deal with it, without having to discuss it, mention it or have any sympathy expressed about it. Because it can be complicated. It may be a migraine with specific symptoms. Maybe it is a FM flare though. Or both. And then I have to explain what it is because most people think my migraines are the main issue but I could be FM…