Skip to main content

Day 24: #MHAM #MHAMBC Miles and miles before I rest

"Fighter" Have your Migraines or Headaches made you a fighter?: Watch the Christina Aguilera video below and listen to the song lyrics. How have your Migraines or Headaches made you a fighter?



Makes me that much stronger
Makes me work a little bit harder
It makes me that much wiser
So thanks for making me a fighter
Made me learn a little bit faster
Made my skin a little bit thicker
Makes me that much smarter
So thanks for making me a fighter 


I think every single person with chronic migraines is a fighter. Every single person with chronic pain is a fighter. We have to be. We have this pain and no treatment will end the pain and get rid of it... maybe just diminish it slightly. So we learn to endure it. We learn to function in the world with it, to some degree. Sure it affects us, it limits us and makes us moderate out activities and we have made compromises for it. But we fight every damn day we get out of bed. 

I sometimes think that is the difference between episodic migraines and chronic migraines. When migraines are episodic... that is low episodic, not high episodic where they are practically chronic (that has the same impact as chronic migraines according to research), is that with episodic migraines we can feel the impact of the migraine. We can hide in our cave and recover and no one judges us for that. It is, after all, a migraine. But as soon as you cross this invisible line into chronic pain at around the high episodic to chronic migraine area where the impact is intense... society said 'nope, you have to function because this pain will always be there and there is nothing to do about it, so suck it up buttercup'. And damned if we don't try to do just that. And falter, because it is a crapton of pain. But we learn and adapt and get some sort of modest treatment and cope and do whatever we can to manage the pain... and somehow figure out to have as much of a life as we can manage. At times, not much of a life. At times, somewhat more. Depends on the pain, the treatment, the year. Sometimes it feels like the pain has literally consumed years of my life that are just a haze of existence. Other times it feels like I get some sort of balance in there. But I still am expected to work. To do my housework. To function to some degree. With the pain. And I am not the only one. Seems to me just to Be in this pain spells fighter to me. But some of us work. Some of us are parents. Some of us are caretakers. We do things and live our lives with this pain. We fight the fight.

I don't thank the pain for that by the way. I don't think 'thanks pain for making me so damn strong'. Because frankly would rather not have learned this rather repetitive lesson. However, it is very true that I would not be the person I am without the illness I have. Coping has molded who I am. And I think no matter how hard we think the pain is to live with we should be proud of our coping skills. We learn a great deal on how to cope with pain from the onset of this disease in order to survive. Without those strategies, we would not make it. We should be proud of that hard earned distance and hard earned skills. We may think it is really difficult, but think how it would be if all this pain Now happened back in the day without any of those hard earned skills? It would be brutal. I for one adapted slowly over time because I had chronic pain conditions since I was kid where the pain just got progressively worse as I got older. At each stage it seemed like the worst pain ever, but at each stage I adapted and coped and endured and learned. And kept going. If I had been hit with all the pain conditions I have now, then, that would have been horrific. In fact there is one thing the pain class i took at the pain clinic taught me... a life of pain teaches you all the same coping skills they want you to pick up in that class. Been there. Done that. Did it All the hard way as well. Never learn it the easy way. Have to learn by poor coping skills of course, but still, I learned. And we all pick up these skills as we go along because we all fight to survive. Fight to hold onto our lives and what we consider to be important. 




"The Migraine and Headache Awareness Month Blog Challenge is organized by the American Headache and Migraine Association."

Prompts to be found on: Awareness Month page.




Awareness Month page.

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Signs the pain is getting the best of you

100 Symptoms of Fibromyalgia

There was a site that had this and I had linked to it on Tumblr but it is gone. So I had to hunt down someone who found my post and posted the whole thing in a forum. Anyway it is around but I'm posting it here so I will not have to hunt it down to reference it. Now we all know the major symptoms are the wide-spread pain, but our pain isn't just muscle pain... it can be nerve types of pain as well, and the fatigue and the insomnia. And even among symptoms there are some far more frequent than others, but it should be said we have categories... like the cognitive dysfunction, which is a broad one that has more than one symptom and we often just say fibrofog. The insomnia... more than one sleeping disorder. So the list is interesting.




GENERAL
__ Fatigue, made worse by physical exertion or stress
__ Activity level decreased to less than 50% of pre-illness activity level
__ Recurrent flu-like illness
__ Sore throat
__ Hoarseness
__ Tender or swollen lymph nodes (glands), especiall…

When I say I am good

When people ask me how I am feeling 99% of the time I am lying. I often say 'not bad', because I feel it is slightly more honest than 'good' or 'fine'. Got sick of fine. Anyway, I lie for many reasons. 



I'm having a good pain day: They happen and I'll say that I'm good, fine, not bad. I even feel like I can accomplish great things... in moderation. In which case, relatively speaking, for Me I am not actually lying. This is a Good pain day, it is Not Bad for me and I am Fine with it. I just don't want to explain: I just don't want to explain how crappy I feel and in which way I mean. Because I am tired of it. I just want to deal with it, without having to discuss it, mention it or have any sympathy expressed about it. Because it can be complicated. It may be a migraine with specific symptoms. Maybe it is a FM flare though. Or both. And then I have to explain what it is because most people think my migraines are the main issue but I could be FM…