Skip to main content

Damned Insomnia

Overview of Fibromyalgia and sleep dysfunction



Sleep dysfunction is a component to fybromyalgia specifically, but the fact is insomnia is a factor with all chronic pain. I know when I developed chronic migraines my insomnia got that much worse and that much more complicated. The migraines acute at night, making it difficult, or impossible to sleep... the lack of sleep a migraine trigger for the next day. Seems like an impossible cycle of pain and insomnia feeding into each other.

I know that I have had insomnia most of my life. I know that I have tried pretty much every single thing anyone has ever mentioned to me to help with it. Every herbal supplement. I was on some medications with a side-effect of drowsiness said to help some people that I found useless. And now on some sleeping pills that I seriously do not find all that strong to be honest and only mildly beneficial. I also take melatonin because apparently I have none of my own I have done hypnosis, which, apparently, does not work on me. I do deep breathing exercises. I do meditation. I might be missing some things here and I am not even bothering to list All the supplements... but lets just say I have done A lot since I have begun trying to treat my insomnia at around the early twenties. Insomnia bothered me as a child and in my teens. I was always tired. I skipped school, a lot, to sleep. But as pain increased, so did insomnia... and it became a Problem. A sleep deprivation problem. A 'I cannot sleep at all' problem. And I began to ask doctors about it to which they often said 'we do not treat chronic insomnia with medication'. Up until one doctor realized my migraines were being made significantly worse by sleep deprivation symptoms. Thus the sleeping pill, which did in fact reduce those sleep deprivation symptoms... therefore there is some sleep going on in there somewhere. I mean, rather than days of none at all.

So it is an issue. A very complicated issue I have yet to find a viable solution to. The pain clinic class I went to said my sleep issues were more complicated than the usual complicated. My pain doc said if I wanted to explore more intense sleeping medications I would have to see a psychiatrist as they know those sorts of drugs... but some are known to alter the personality and that does not sound good at all. Freaky really to contemplate being all drugged up because you simply cannot get a good nights sleep.

And yet, the thing is I imagine the pain would be less intense if I could just sleep. I imagine I could think better. I imagine my mood would be better. I imagine the fatigue would be less. I imagine... I have no clue really, but I imagine.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Signs the pain is getting the best of you

100 Symptoms of Fibromyalgia

There was a site that had this and I had linked to it on Tumblr but it is gone. So I had to hunt down someone who found my post and posted the whole thing in a forum. Anyway it is around but I'm posting it here so I will not have to hunt it down to reference it. Now we all know the major symptoms are the wide-spread pain, but our pain isn't just muscle pain... it can be nerve types of pain as well, and the fatigue and the insomnia. And even among symptoms there are some far more frequent than others, but it should be said we have categories... like the cognitive dysfunction, which is a broad one that has more than one symptom and we often just say fibrofog. The insomnia... more than one sleeping disorder. So the list is interesting.




GENERAL
__ Fatigue, made worse by physical exertion or stress
__ Activity level decreased to less than 50% of pre-illness activity level
__ Recurrent flu-like illness
__ Sore throat
__ Hoarseness
__ Tender or swollen lymph nodes (glands), especiall…

When I say I am good

When people ask me how I am feeling 99% of the time I am lying. I often say 'not bad', because I feel it is slightly more honest than 'good' or 'fine'. Got sick of fine. Anyway, I lie for many reasons. 



I'm having a good pain day: They happen and I'll say that I'm good, fine, not bad. I even feel like I can accomplish great things... in moderation. In which case, relatively speaking, for Me I am not actually lying. This is a Good pain day, it is Not Bad for me and I am Fine with it. I just don't want to explain: I just don't want to explain how crappy I feel and in which way I mean. Because I am tired of it. I just want to deal with it, without having to discuss it, mention it or have any sympathy expressed about it. Because it can be complicated. It may be a migraine with specific symptoms. Maybe it is a FM flare though. Or both. And then I have to explain what it is because most people think my migraines are the main issue but I could be FM…