Skip to main content

Don't make a fuss



I once had an ovarian cyst that ruptured. I had no idea what it was at the time of course. It was just this brutally painful abdominal pain. Could have been appendicitis or even something worse. A normal person would have gone to the ER with such severe, acute pain. I didn't want to make a fuss.

I once had chest pains that mimicked a heart attack so closely I wouldn't be able to tell you any different. They radiated down my arm, through to my back. Were quite painful. Affected my breathing. I had been having erratic heart rhythms that previous week. I had to lie down from the pain. After it was down blood rushed through my body in a whooshing tingle and gave me a headache. And my heart went all wonky. During and after a normal person would call 911. I didn't want to make a fuss.

I could give more examples but do I really need to? Where did this come from? Well I know already. I have been chronically ill and with chronic pain most of my life. And for many of those years I experienced varying amounts of stigma from the medical field. My pain was minimized. It was dismissed. I was told I was 'too young for treatment'. I was told 'I was just depressed'.

If fact, the very first time I experienced chest pains of an entirely different sort I was completely dismissed by a doctor. You see I have fibromyalgia and people with fibromyalgia can develop a condition called costochondritis, which is chest wall pain due to inflammation. I did, but didn't know that was the cause of my pain, only that I knew it wasn't a heart attack due to its longevity. However it did get worse and I ended up having problems breathing so off to the ER I went. Where the doctor told me it was not a heart attack, obviously. Not that he tested for this of course. And I asked if it had anything to do with FM, since that seemed probable to me. And he replied he 'didn't believe in FM'. And therefore... he didn't test for Anything. Completely dismissed me. Now costochondritis occurs all on its own from a virus or from strain from lifting heavy items... and therefore if he bothered to look based on my symptoms he would have found it. If he bothered to eliminate other causes of chest pains and looked for inflammation that is. Like I had recently when they found something similar but inflammation around the heart. Instead he found out I had a pain condition he believed was 'all in my head' therefore I must simply be imagining this other pain. 

And that is the problem. I responded to all these doctors and medical professionals. I began to minimize my own pain. I did not want to be seen as exaggerating so I made it seem like  it was less than it was. Ironically. I did not want to be seen as complaining, so I didn't mention the pain they were not bothering to treat often. Not that it mattered since they did nothing for the pain for my entire youth and 20's and part of my 30's. Too young for medication you see. But I wanted them to at least pay attention to other symptoms so they would not miss things. Like asthma. And hypothyroidism. In order to do that, I had to ensure they didn't think I exaggerated. 

So I didn't make a fuss.

When a symptom occurred I ignored it. If it persisted for a long time I might mention it. If it was severe I would mention it... if it did not go away. If it was acute pain, I would do nothing about it in the moment but I would mention that it occurred at my next appointment. Usually. 

This is hardly productive to me, but it is a learned behavior.  They taught me through their indifference. And now I ignore important things because I don't want to make a fuss.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Signs the pain is getting the best of you

100 Symptoms of Fibromyalgia

There was a site that had this and I had linked to it on Tumblr but it is gone. So I had to hunt down someone who found my post and posted the whole thing in a forum. Anyway it is around but I'm posting it here so I will not have to hunt it down to reference it. Now we all know the major symptoms are the wide-spread pain, but our pain isn't just muscle pain... it can be nerve types of pain as well, and the fatigue and the insomnia. And even among symptoms there are some far more frequent than others, but it should be said we have categories... like the cognitive dysfunction, which is a broad one that has more than one symptom and we often just say fibrofog. The insomnia... more than one sleeping disorder. So the list is interesting.




GENERAL
__ Fatigue, made worse by physical exertion or stress
__ Activity level decreased to less than 50% of pre-illness activity level
__ Recurrent flu-like illness
__ Sore throat
__ Hoarseness
__ Tender or swollen lymph nodes (glands), especiall…

When I say I am good

When people ask me how I am feeling 99% of the time I am lying. I often say 'not bad', because I feel it is slightly more honest than 'good' or 'fine'. Got sick of fine. Anyway, I lie for many reasons. 



I'm having a good pain day: They happen and I'll say that I'm good, fine, not bad. I even feel like I can accomplish great things... in moderation. In which case, relatively speaking, for Me I am not actually lying. This is a Good pain day, it is Not Bad for me and I am Fine with it. I just don't want to explain: I just don't want to explain how crappy I feel and in which way I mean. Because I am tired of it. I just want to deal with it, without having to discuss it, mention it or have any sympathy expressed about it. Because it can be complicated. It may be a migraine with specific symptoms. Maybe it is a FM flare though. Or both. And then I have to explain what it is because most people think my migraines are the main issue but I could be FM…