Skip to main content

Locked in the #StatusMigraine zone



I have been in a status migraine since November 27th. 12 days of hell. Status migraines are acute migraines that last longer than 3 days. The pain is immense. Indescribable. It swallows you whole.

You begin to just not see an end to it. It begins to just warp your perception of time. You get locked into the moment of it. Every damned second of pain stretches on and on. You can't focus on anything because the pain is so very loud... it drowns out every other thought.

Thoughts get darker and darker. How can this be manageable? Must just push through... But it is unbearable. Yet there is nothing to be done. All the things that could be done, are done, and nothing works. A status migraine is one single migraine. If nothing works in the beginning nothing works in the middle. It just persists and persists and persists.

You are supposed to go to the ER because this sort of migraine is dangerous. The ER here does not comprehend what a status migraine is so I no longer do that. However, I do recommend it. Because this sort of migraine has caused me a lot of suicidal ideation in the past and I would highly recommend treatment over suicide.

I have taken more triptans than I usually ever take. I am supposed to take them rarely due to side effects, but this pain is demanding it. And as a result breathing issues, chest pains and irregular heart rates. There is no winning with those. But I got these slight breaks. Like a dulling of the pain for a few hours that gave me some sanity back before the pain cranked back up to a 9. However, trying to fall asleep when your heart is skipping and all of a sudden you can't breath is not good either. So I stopped taking them for a few days for a break. Can't take more than 3 a week anyway or run the risk of making a crappy situation worse.

My step-father is getting a pace maker in and I could not even fathom going for a visit to the hospital. The drive alone was beyond me. However, he gets home tomorrow so I think I can manage a visit to my mom's house then. This pain puts a brake on life. All life. On every single thing. I wake up as late as possible. Staying in bed until the FM pain makes that too uncomfortable because as soon as I get up, into the light the pain just gets worse and worse. I have not been able to do anything around the house. I can't think straight.

The blessing is that I am not working. If I was, I would be having suicidal ideation days ago. This pain and being forced to function is too damn much. It pushes me over the edge. I just can't handle the thought of having to perform the next day, smile on face, with this pain. Driving to and from work as well is a torture worth mentioning... one I believe with the pain that much of a distraction is not safe at all. With status migraines I Always miss some work and it always is a problem. But I attend for all the other days of the status migraine hell. And it is agonizing. It is madness. It is torment.


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Signs the pain is getting the best of you

100 Symptoms of Fibromyalgia

There was a site that had this and I had linked to it on Tumblr but it is gone. So I had to hunt down someone who found my post and posted the whole thing in a forum. Anyway it is around but I'm posting it here so I will not have to hunt it down to reference it. Now we all know the major symptoms are the wide-spread pain, but our pain isn't just muscle pain... it can be nerve types of pain as well, and the fatigue and the insomnia. And even among symptoms there are some far more frequent than others, but it should be said we have categories... like the cognitive dysfunction, which is a broad one that has more than one symptom and we often just say fibrofog. The insomnia... more than one sleeping disorder. So the list is interesting.




GENERAL
__ Fatigue, made worse by physical exertion or stress
__ Activity level decreased to less than 50% of pre-illness activity level
__ Recurrent flu-like illness
__ Sore throat
__ Hoarseness
__ Tender or swollen lymph nodes (glands), especiall…

When I say I am good

When people ask me how I am feeling 99% of the time I am lying. I often say 'not bad', because I feel it is slightly more honest than 'good' or 'fine'. Got sick of fine. Anyway, I lie for many reasons. 



I'm having a good pain day: They happen and I'll say that I'm good, fine, not bad. I even feel like I can accomplish great things... in moderation. In which case, relatively speaking, for Me I am not actually lying. This is a Good pain day, it is Not Bad for me and I am Fine with it. I just don't want to explain: I just don't want to explain how crappy I feel and in which way I mean. Because I am tired of it. I just want to deal with it, without having to discuss it, mention it or have any sympathy expressed about it. Because it can be complicated. It may be a migraine with specific symptoms. Maybe it is a FM flare though. Or both. And then I have to explain what it is because most people think my migraines are the main issue but I could be FM…