Skip to main content

Stress is seriously stressing me out


You know dealing with chronic pain, fatigue, stress, chronic illness and depression is a raw deal. It is sort of this daily battle of crap just from getting out of bed. The first battle: getting out of bed. The next battle trying to pretend it isn't in fact a battle.


This is our every day existence. We have our baseline pain days. Our moderate pain days. And our horrifically bad pain days. We moderate our activities. We have defined limits. We feel like we never get anything done. We feel guilty about what we cannot do. We feel like our brains are balls of cotton balls and just all hazed out. We fumble along just trying to manage things and trying to not think about the pain, that is very much top of mind. The pain eats at our concentration and memory capacity. We feel so very drained of energy from this constant struggle to get our bodies to do things. The fight with chronic pain leaves us with no motivation and no sense of accomplishment.

Yet we get used to the status quo. Or at least try. I have depression as well and so the status quo is very much a problem for me at this time.

However, when any life stress comes along the way, which happens to us all, it is immensely hard to deal with. It just slams into us. Increasing the pain. Increasing the fatigue. Certainly not helping with mood or coping. Not with depression certainly. We don't handle stresses well. Our body doesn't handle it well... due to the fact it is Always at the peak of stress already, by compounding it it is just getting slammed with too much stress. It has a serious impact.

That is where I find myself. Struggling with mood and pain flare ups that are seriously nasty and can't be explained on anything other than the fact I am immensely stressed out. About something I have no control over. It has to do with my insurance company and long term disability and a creditor insurance claim... both of which I have heard nothing from and it is now the end of the year. I expected to hear from both two weeks ago. But again no power to do anything about it. So the stress eats at me. Messing with pain levels. Messing with my already very unpredictable mood.

I am not sure what we are supposed to do with these situations and this high stress. Not think about it? This does not work when you have some very real concerns you have to think about. Not get depressed? Easily said not so easily done. Not worry? That boat has sailed, my friends. I have been trying to just take one day at a time and just do it that way. But Christmas is stressful enough I think without all this added on top. I have been oversleeping because I don't need to think when sleeping and I am very aware that is a sign of depression. But not thinking is better than thinking. The stress remind me of working... because stress of any sort brings with it more pain. Like working does.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Signs the pain is getting the best of you

100 Symptoms of Fibromyalgia

There was a site that had this and I had linked to it on Tumblr but it is gone. So I had to hunt down someone who found my post and posted the whole thing in a forum. Anyway it is around but I'm posting it here so I will not have to hunt it down to reference it. Now we all know the major symptoms are the wide-spread pain, but our pain isn't just muscle pain... it can be nerve types of pain as well, and the fatigue and the insomnia. And even among symptoms there are some far more frequent than others, but it should be said we have categories... like the cognitive dysfunction, which is a broad one that has more than one symptom and we often just say fibrofog. The insomnia... more than one sleeping disorder. So the list is interesting.




GENERAL
__ Fatigue, made worse by physical exertion or stress
__ Activity level decreased to less than 50% of pre-illness activity level
__ Recurrent flu-like illness
__ Sore throat
__ Hoarseness
__ Tender or swollen lymph nodes (glands), especiall…

When I say I am good

When people ask me how I am feeling 99% of the time I am lying. I often say 'not bad', because I feel it is slightly more honest than 'good' or 'fine'. Got sick of fine. Anyway, I lie for many reasons. 



I'm having a good pain day: They happen and I'll say that I'm good, fine, not bad. I even feel like I can accomplish great things... in moderation. In which case, relatively speaking, for Me I am not actually lying. This is a Good pain day, it is Not Bad for me and I am Fine with it. I just don't want to explain: I just don't want to explain how crappy I feel and in which way I mean. Because I am tired of it. I just want to deal with it, without having to discuss it, mention it or have any sympathy expressed about it. Because it can be complicated. It may be a migraine with specific symptoms. Maybe it is a FM flare though. Or both. And then I have to explain what it is because most people think my migraines are the main issue but I could be FM…