Skip to main content

What you #think you #become



The story we tell ourselves about ourselves is important. We tell it to ourselves in all the things we think and we believe it. So what you think is what you become. The good thing is when you notice that is not such a good thing, as in the case of depression, you can change what you think.

It is true as well with our story of chronic pain and what we tell ourselves about our pain. If we say this pain will never end and there is nothing we can do about it we will convince ourselves that nothing will work and it is not worth even attempting new things.

If we say to ourselves this pain is something I have to cope with in order to live my life. I have to find methods and things that will decrease my suffering to increase my quality of that life. Then you will be open to new things that will help you with your pain and suffering.

However just because our thoughts make us doesn't mean changing them is easy. It takes a lot of consistent work. The thoughts we have are habitual. They have burned a neural path in our brain and we think them easily and quickly without even thinking about it. 'This pain is endless and my future will be consumed by it.' So we have to catch them and think what is it about that thought that we would change? 'This pain is endless but it varies. I have good days and bad. My future is unknown. There may be a treatment I do not know about that could be vastly beneficial down the road. I cannot know what comes ahead.'

Depression shoots a lot of negative thoughts at me over and over again. It weights me down quite a bit to have to deal with the stress of thinking about them. Dwelling on them all the time. I know many of them are emotional reasoning, magnification and castastrophizing. But to get rid of habitual responses to stress we have to continually make new neural pathways with our new thoughts. New ideas and rationals. New ways of thinking. Of being.

It isn't impossible I'll tell you that. When I was younger, about 18. I fell into a depression dealing with chronic pain away from home at university for the first time in my life. It was difficult to cope and I became quite depressed. My brain was a broken record of negative thoughts. Over and over. My doctor put me on Paxil. It made me sleep all day and not eat. I flunked classes and got really thin. So I took myself off that crap. Took a year off and recovered myself. And one thing I did was read a book on cognitive therapy which I practiced on myself. Stopping each negative thought I had and analyzing it and replacing it with a more rational one. Eventually it began to work and my mood adjusted, my outlook adjusted, how I dealt with stress adjusted... the way I saw the world changed. I went back to school and achieved honors. So it is possible to do. Now I think my main problem is the pain is so much worse and it conflicts a lot with my goals. But thoughts are thoughts. We can break them down.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Signs the pain is getting the best of you

100 Symptoms of Fibromyalgia

There was a site that had this and I had linked to it on Tumblr but it is gone. So I had to hunt down someone who found my post and posted the whole thing in a forum. Anyway it is around but I'm posting it here so I will not have to hunt it down to reference it. Now we all know the major symptoms are the wide-spread pain, but our pain isn't just muscle pain... it can be nerve types of pain as well, and the fatigue and the insomnia. And even among symptoms there are some far more frequent than others, but it should be said we have categories... like the cognitive dysfunction, which is a broad one that has more than one symptom and we often just say fibrofog. The insomnia... more than one sleeping disorder. So the list is interesting.




GENERAL
__ Fatigue, made worse by physical exertion or stress
__ Activity level decreased to less than 50% of pre-illness activity level
__ Recurrent flu-like illness
__ Sore throat
__ Hoarseness
__ Tender or swollen lymph nodes (glands), especiall…

When I say I am good

When people ask me how I am feeling 99% of the time I am lying. I often say 'not bad', because I feel it is slightly more honest than 'good' or 'fine'. Got sick of fine. Anyway, I lie for many reasons. 



I'm having a good pain day: They happen and I'll say that I'm good, fine, not bad. I even feel like I can accomplish great things... in moderation. In which case, relatively speaking, for Me I am not actually lying. This is a Good pain day, it is Not Bad for me and I am Fine with it. I just don't want to explain: I just don't want to explain how crappy I feel and in which way I mean. Because I am tired of it. I just want to deal with it, without having to discuss it, mention it or have any sympathy expressed about it. Because it can be complicated. It may be a migraine with specific symptoms. Maybe it is a FM flare though. Or both. And then I have to explain what it is because most people think my migraines are the main issue but I could be FM…