Skip to main content

Best laid #plans...



A fiend calls you up to go to a concert, or to a dinner party or to go drinking? A family member invites you out of a family social gathering?

Do you go? Do you bail out on it because you fear you will be struck down with a migraine anyway? Do you hope you won't be and on the day of decide one way or the other whether you can go or not? Do I go out for drinks with fellow staff members after work? Do I do that 'volunteer' work at work for charity/festive events?

Should I? Shouldn't I? The question we face for any number of things every single day.


If we refuse: if we constantly refuse it is not good for us to be honest. It increases that sense of isolation. And socialization (Yes, even in introverts) helps with our moods. If we keep refusing, well, eventually people stop asking. And that is how you become a hermit like me. So for the friends you love you might want to find ways that work for you to hold onto them.

I will also feel guilty that I did, but not if it was a choice that I literally could not do. Guilt can be a factor if it was something important and I wanted to go, but could not. But there is no guilt if I say no to a heavy metal concert. I love heavy metal but I can no longer go to a concert like that. Not without a wicked migraine being triggered.

If we go: We may feel like crap when the day arrives and have to cancel. Or we may feel pretty bad, but tough through it for our friends, family and loved ones. We have to be prepared though. We have to bring an abortive and a rescue. And something for nausea. Sunglasses of course.

And what we choose to go to should be things that are not going to overly assault us with lights and sounds. I make choices based on how far do I have to travel, because it will not be fun getting home with a wicked migraine. What are the plans for? Because if it is something I can do; dinner, cards, game night, movie (sometimes) then I am more inclined to say yes.


Now there should be no guilt involved in this process. What it really is our own little cost vs benefit analysis. How much is this going to cost me in pain to what sort of benefit there is to be gained.

Concert:  

Cost: Loud, flashing lights, screaming crowds, smoke =High cost in pain.
Benefit: No benefit due to inability to focus on music. Music itself hurts. 

Playing cards: 

Cost: light in room, 4 people= minimal cost
Benefit: Having a good time with company, laughing, enjoyment, socializing with friends.


We have our limitations but we are aware of them. We should use that as a guideline to accepting plans, spontaneous plans or making plans. If we can't do A, we could do B. The idea is not to do anything at all, but to find things within your limitations to do with friends, family and loved ones or choose things within those limits you get invited to.

I was a real hermit and most of my friends had drifted off from the whole saying no to every invite, then there were none. So starting to socialize again is difficult and slow... for an introvert. I began with going out for coffee with my mother regularly. We then went to my spouses Christmas parties. There we mingled and met people. We had a few BBQs. Some of them we play cards with regularly. A dew helped us with our fence building and flooring. It took some time but we slowly collected a few friends again. And now we have to maintain them. Which means making plans I can agree to. Declining offers for things I know I cannot do.

When I realized we were hermits and that this then affected my spouse. I decided to just not say no to things. No matter how tired I was. As long as the pain was within its tolerable range I would say yes. This enabled us to explore options and meet people. Just sort of pushing myself a little to get the gain I was looking for.

Most often now when I make a plan I say 'I should'. I made it. I'm doing it. I prepare by making sure my pain levels are managed. My migraine is managed as well. And I bring things with me if they suddenly become unmanaged. And yes, sometimes it gets very bad and I have to leave early. But not all the time. And more than once it was a 9 pain day and I could not go out at all so I had to skip those ones. Pain does not stop me from going out, because the pain would be there anyway and as long as what I am doing is something just moderate, then I'll be fine to cope with it. The pain is always going to be there, it should not stop me from seeing friends. It does, of course, at the very high pain levels, but there is nothing I can do about that. As long as your friends and family grasp why that is, it is a non-issue.

Bad days happen and we cannot, absolutely, Cannot meet every plan we make to socialize with friends and family. We want to, but when the pain gets up into the 8 or 9 range we are useless to socialize with. I am dull as dirt. Barely there as a human being to be honest. And the migraine makes me dumb as a doornail. I don't laugh as much because I only half-ass even listen to what is going on around me. I am no ones idea of fun. Just sort of sit there wishing I was not in pain. So there will always be days pain flares and epic migraines will cause disruptions to plans. And we can't feel guilty about it. It is what it is.

We should remember that our social welling is also important just as our mental and emotional wellbeing. And having the enjoyment of friends and family does in fact help us cope. Gets us out of our head-space for a bit anyway.I personally only socialize once a month or so, but it is enough to feel less isolated. Once a month works for me because too often and that would mean too many cancellations. Once a month though? Most of time I can handle tolerating a few hours if I am prepared.

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Signs the pain is getting the best of you

100 Symptoms of Fibromyalgia

There was a site that had this and I had linked to it on Tumblr but it is gone. So I had to hunt down someone who found my post and posted the whole thing in a forum. Anyway it is around but I'm posting it here so I will not have to hunt it down to reference it. Now we all know the major symptoms are the wide-spread pain, but our pain isn't just muscle pain... it can be nerve types of pain as well, and the fatigue and the insomnia. And even among symptoms there are some far more frequent than others, but it should be said we have categories... like the cognitive dysfunction, which is a broad one that has more than one symptom and we often just say fibrofog. The insomnia... more than one sleeping disorder. So the list is interesting.




GENERAL
__ Fatigue, made worse by physical exertion or stress
__ Activity level decreased to less than 50% of pre-illness activity level
__ Recurrent flu-like illness
__ Sore throat
__ Hoarseness
__ Tender or swollen lymph nodes (glands), especiall…

When I say I am good

When people ask me how I am feeling 99% of the time I am lying. I often say 'not bad', because I feel it is slightly more honest than 'good' or 'fine'. Got sick of fine. Anyway, I lie for many reasons. 



I'm having a good pain day: They happen and I'll say that I'm good, fine, not bad. I even feel like I can accomplish great things... in moderation. In which case, relatively speaking, for Me I am not actually lying. This is a Good pain day, it is Not Bad for me and I am Fine with it. I just don't want to explain: I just don't want to explain how crappy I feel and in which way I mean. Because I am tired of it. I just want to deal with it, without having to discuss it, mention it or have any sympathy expressed about it. Because it can be complicated. It may be a migraine with specific symptoms. Maybe it is a FM flare though. Or both. And then I have to explain what it is because most people think my migraines are the main issue but I could be FM…