Hobbies and activities to help with self-care

These are two poems I wrote.





One thing that helps me get through the pain and the suffering is my creative pursuits. Poetry, novel writing, blogging, designing memes for my Facebook Pages. I lose myself in these pursuits. They are important to me for the sheer sake of my desire to do them. Important to me for consuming me so I don't have to think about the pain. Lets me think about something else for a bit. Something just for me. Not that I do not share my creations, but the creating itself is just for me. I also color in adult coloring books. I love to read.

And they are important to my self-care. To:
  1. decrease stress
  2. help with mood regulation
  3. keep me mentally active

 I have my thing. That thing that helps me deal with pain by absorbing me into something else. Something that is mine, not an obligation and also no one elses.

So what is your thing?

What do you do to escape from the pain?

To get beyond the pain?

To consume you and absorb you such that for a moment the pain isn't your focus?

Is it: 

  • golfing

  • reading

  • writing

  • blogging

  • journalling/gratitude journal 

  • exercise ( know that is some people zens zone... personally not mine. Scream zone maybe)

  • meditation

  • adult coloring

  • music-listening and/or playing

  • painting

  • taking walks

  • photography

  • knitting/crochet

  • video games 

    I could probably think of more if I needed to. The thing is it is personal. We all enjoy different things. One thing I am clear on. These passions, hobbies or leisure activities are vital to our wellbeing. We think they are a pleasure and not necessary. However chronic illness and pain are this Constant stressor on our bodies and lives. It takes a lot out of us, just dealing with it. To cope we have to find things that relax us. De-stress us. And often those are things we enjoy doing. Things we choose to do. So every hobby we have, no matter what it is, is helping combat the stress of living with the pain every day. Not to mention it helps with mood regulation.  

     Consider it part of your treatment. Self-care is very much part of your treatment. The most important part in fact. The part we have control over. Part of that is handling our stress and mood regulation. 

      Hobbies have physical health benefits. Research has found that engaging in enjoyable activities during down time were associated with lower blood pressure, total cortisol, waist circumference, and body mass index. Engaging in these activities also correlated to higher levels of positive psychosocial states and lower levels of depression and negative affect. Hobbies are good for your mind and your body.  positively present


Here are 16 Hobbies That Will Improve Your Quality of Life

Just recognize hobby is a flexible term. People seem to think playing video games isn't a hobby, but it is and studies say the same thing about video games... unless you play excessively, then mood goes down. I assume that would be the case with all things. Too much of a good thing is, well, obsessive. Exercise can be a hobby; such as regularly taking a walk every day to enjoy the walk and scenery itself as well as the improved health. Some of us have one hobby and are really into that. Some of us have a few and we spread out the time between them. Some of us have one and it is seasonal, like golfing. Or have one we spend about 2 hours a week on. Whatever it is it is important to you. It is something you choose to value and do.

Sometimes people feel guilty about spending time on their hobby or activity rather than something productive like a household chore. Remember, Self-care is important. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. We need to moderate our around the house work. Our work. This is for our self-care. Mental and emotional wellbeing. Stress relieve. While it is not Necessary, it does help us feel better about everything and that counts for so much. Thinking about suffering all the time, in that headspace, is not where we want to be stuck.


Post a Comment

I would love to just redirect you to the new site...

But sadly the redirect function doesn't function. I will continue to persist hitting it and see if it will eventually do something. Or s...