Skip to main content

#Photophobia and desensitizing it



Photophobia is a major pain in the eyeballs for me with chronic migraines. I own 7 hats and 6 pairs of sunglasses. I have my indoor specs tinted pink for photosensitivity. I have black out blinds in the house and live in a cave. I have Flux on my computer to change it from aggressive blue light to rose lighting. Then I dim the screen.



So here is the thing. I heard a little something about photophobia and it had me changing my behavior. Mine is bad. Very bad. Migraine or not, I cannot leave the house without sunglasses. It is just too painful. So I heard this lady had a doc recommend she not avoid light and slowly train herself to more light exposure to help with her photophobia. It will not go away, but avoidance makes it more severe.



Well hell I thought. So off to Google and this comes up:

What can I do to make my light sensitivity go away?First, adequate treatment of the cause is important—that means if you have dry eyes you should treat that symptom aggressively.  Second, be sure that you do not keep yourself in the dark—e.g. NO darkened rooms, no darkened windows, slowly increase the amount of light in your environment so that you are more tolerant of the light.  Get adequate sleep and treat any depression or anxiety which can make your symptoms worse. 


Not found anywhere I might add but on the American Migraine Foundation site.

Build a tolerance, eh? Or really desensitizing it, since it is extremely over sensitive. So during the day I have been cracking blinds open. And for a few minutes each day, a few times a day, I sit outside Without my sunglasses on. Some days this is pretty brutal... like when the sun is full on daytime and out, yeah, that is eyeball hell. On a nice cloudy day, that is not so bad anymore. It is getting better anyway. I don't need them at twilight anymore. I can handle a brighter computer screen, for a short duration. Still need the Flux since it is blue light that is a problem with migraines.

Anyway, it is an interesting experiment for that down time. Not with a migraine. But any down time from a migraine you might have... increase your light exposure on a daily basis. Especially if yours is constant like mine.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Signs the pain is getting the best of you

100 Symptoms of Fibromyalgia

There was a site that had this and I had linked to it on Tumblr but it is gone. So I had to hunt down someone who found my post and posted the whole thing in a forum. Anyway it is around but I'm posting it here so I will not have to hunt it down to reference it. Now we all know the major symptoms are the wide-spread pain, but our pain isn't just muscle pain... it can be nerve types of pain as well, and the fatigue and the insomnia. And even among symptoms there are some far more frequent than others, but it should be said we have categories... like the cognitive dysfunction, which is a broad one that has more than one symptom and we often just say fibrofog. The insomnia... more than one sleeping disorder. So the list is interesting.




GENERAL
__ Fatigue, made worse by physical exertion or stress
__ Activity level decreased to less than 50% of pre-illness activity level
__ Recurrent flu-like illness
__ Sore throat
__ Hoarseness
__ Tender or swollen lymph nodes (glands), especiall…

When I say I am good

When people ask me how I am feeling 99% of the time I am lying. I often say 'not bad', because I feel it is slightly more honest than 'good' or 'fine'. Got sick of fine. Anyway, I lie for many reasons. 



I'm having a good pain day: They happen and I'll say that I'm good, fine, not bad. I even feel like I can accomplish great things... in moderation. In which case, relatively speaking, for Me I am not actually lying. This is a Good pain day, it is Not Bad for me and I am Fine with it. I just don't want to explain: I just don't want to explain how crappy I feel and in which way I mean. Because I am tired of it. I just want to deal with it, without having to discuss it, mention it or have any sympathy expressed about it. Because it can be complicated. It may be a migraine with specific symptoms. Maybe it is a FM flare though. Or both. And then I have to explain what it is because most people think my migraines are the main issue but I could be FM…