Skip to main content

3 areas we respond to our illness #ChronicBlogger


Now quotes like this I always say the ratios are skewed but I like the point.

Clearly chronic illness and chronic pain is more than 10%. It is a constant factor to us. And we also constantly respond to it.

Broad response:


We all have our overview response of our condition. Where our hope levels are. How we are coping. If our view of our situation is particularly negative or more optimistic. (I am overly cynical myself). Here we have an entire belief system that generally controls how we habitually respond to pain. Like my typically negative responses, which I constantly work on.

Broad responses to continuous stresses are what we are usually working on with psychologists. For example my excessive negative thoughts due to my pain and depression. I may think... I am always going to be in pain, it is endless and soulsucking so what is the point to life even? To suffer forever? Lovely thought. The best counter thought for that is that we can never know what treatment will bring or come in the future. We can never know if our pain will suddenly change. Therefore it is a exaggeration to assume it will last 'forever' when we cannot know that. So I confront the irrational thoughts with rational ones. Before they spiral down into an abyss of pain and depression.

I also believe optimistically that pain can be managed under the right conditions. If I do meditation, take my medications and exercise regularly. I might achieve some pain management. So there is a level of hope in my belief system.

How am I coping? This fluctuates but it important reflection of where you are. If you are coping poorly then your outlook on pain is not going to be positive. If you are coping well then your outlook is going to be looking much better. We respond to that by trying to figure out what is Not working for us and trying to change those things, or add things, to find the balance we lost.


Daily responses:


Then we have our daily responses. I get a migraine for example and I get frustrated. depressed, angry, irritated and/or sad.

This is where we have the potential to choose how we respond to it. The Broad response is something we work to change that helps us cope. The daily response is simply choosing how to respond to the level of pain we are in. We don't need to but sometimes we want to because we are in public, like working. I choice to create a humor, smiling, laughing facade to react to my pain because it helped me distance myself from it at work. I choice to react that way because functionally it works for me. I also choose at the higher levels to be silent, because of the high pain I fear if I am not silent just dealing with it I might come off as irritable or angry and I don't want to hurt anyone feelings over my pain.

Emotion though is a total normal response to pain. The brain is wired that way with the emotion centers in the pain circuit. And some emotional responses for migraines anyway are actually part of the migraines attack such as depression and euphoria. We have a right to feel emotions during an attack.

My go-to response is humor to hide the pain from others. And then when it is really high I get really silent. I get depression bouts as well at night with painsomia. I chose these responses so many times they have become habit for me. The flaw is when I am silent my spouse doesn't know my level of pain or confuses it with anger... it lacks communication.


Responding to the life

The rest of our responding is the whole shebang. We get diagnoses and from that day forth we are responding to that Illness and pain. We are learning. We developing coping strategies. We see doctors. Develop support networks. Get treatments. We are constantly adjusting to the illness and changing to adapt to it. making compromises when we need to. It is literally something we are always responding to because it constantly needs to be monitors and maintained. Every single thing we learn, every coping skill we pick up is us responding to our wellbeing. This is just the Chronic illness Lifestyle here. 

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Signs the pain is getting the best of you

100 Symptoms of Fibromyalgia

There was a site that had this and I had linked to it on Tumblr but it is gone. So I had to hunt down someone who found my post and posted the whole thing in a forum. Anyway it is around but I'm posting it here so I will not have to hunt it down to reference it. Now we all know the major symptoms are the wide-spread pain, but our pain isn't just muscle pain... it can be nerve types of pain as well, and the fatigue and the insomnia. And even among symptoms there are some far more frequent than others, but it should be said we have categories... like the cognitive dysfunction, which is a broad one that has more than one symptom and we often just say fibrofog. The insomnia... more than one sleeping disorder. So the list is interesting.




GENERAL
__ Fatigue, made worse by physical exertion or stress
__ Activity level decreased to less than 50% of pre-illness activity level
__ Recurrent flu-like illness
__ Sore throat
__ Hoarseness
__ Tender or swollen lymph nodes (glands), especiall…

Getting through the high intensity pain flares #Blogboost

The crowded me out of the brain. Making no room for anything else. Distraction was impossible. You feel almost frantic with the pain but must be still.

What do you do? To get through it when you have no distraction?

I ask me this as I am really in the depths of a 9 level frantic level of pain right now. Hoping maybe some writing will be a distraction, but it isn't. As I said, the pain crowds the brain. I have to focus real hard to write and my head isn't clear. Too much pain to focus well. Things become quite difficult to do. 

I will say this: We cannot function. We have to just cope with the pain.

But we are Immersed in the pain, we what do we do?
We can and should rest and get through it the best we can. Here are some of the things I do to get through it.

Relaxation breathing: I can't meditate when in high levels of pain. It just makes me think about how much pain I am in. Just not a good idea. But I do do relaxation breathing. I close my eyes. I focus on my breathing. I even…