Skip to main content

#May12BlogBomb Work compramises



This year with Fm and chronic migraines I made a major change to my work. Let me first tell you want wasn't working for me.

I was working a desk job, which is about the only job I can work with FM. I tried many a job when I was younger working summer jobs and they were painful mistakes. So here I was working full-time in a job I should be capable do doing. Intellectually capable, yes for sure.

What I could not do was function. I could function through the pain when I was there if the pain was around an 7. That actually is my limit. 8 makes me have functional problems, memory issues, short term memory issues, long term memory issues, and making mistakes. And 9s I would not go to work at all.

I missed a lot of days to high pain days. Flare ups. High migraines days. Both. I mean a Lot. And I went on 7 leaves of absence doctors put me on for stress, pain to change treatments, two suicide attempts. And one long term leave when I knew I just could not handle it at all anymore. Because while I could function while was there, to some extent. I could not be There often. It was stressful. I felt guilty. My boss made me feel guilty for failing my customers, myself and my co-workers.

This is because I was Always exceeding my pain limits. Pushing through the pain. Boom and bust. High pain to push though, then cannot function at all as a result the next day. Then recover and do the same damn thing over and over again.

I did this for years believing something would change. Some med would help. Some doctor would help.

In the end it was the pain clinic that flat out told me I am simply not capable of full time work. I should be working part-time to avoid this pushing through the pain and exceeding my limits every day. I had to do some financial changes. But now I work part-time. In a less stressful job position. Day on, day off for recovery, day on, day off for recovery. Three day work week.

While my finances suffer... which is why I had to prepare and adapt that to make it work. I have to say my wellbeing after not having to exceed my limits every day is working for me. I succeed at this level. I am happy. The pain is less intense as a consequence at work. And I always have the down time the next day.

This is the most significant change I have made this year. One I fought hard not to do and resisted. I wanted a career. Ambition. Financial stability. To hold my own. Be more. Be proud of my work. I had to confront the idea that 'I am what I do'. I am far more than what I do. And my job is not worth my health. I was stubborn about this for a long time. Trying to hold onto something I wasn't capable of doing. In that old denial stage again.

What is that one thing you think you could change that would have a positive impact on your FM and pain?
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Signs the pain is getting the best of you

100 Symptoms of Fibromyalgia

There was a site that had this and I had linked to it on Tumblr but it is gone. So I had to hunt down someone who found my post and posted the whole thing in a forum. Anyway it is around but I'm posting it here so I will not have to hunt it down to reference it. Now we all know the major symptoms are the wide-spread pain, but our pain isn't just muscle pain... it can be nerve types of pain as well, and the fatigue and the insomnia. And even among symptoms there are some far more frequent than others, but it should be said we have categories... like the cognitive dysfunction, which is a broad one that has more than one symptom and we often just say fibrofog. The insomnia... more than one sleeping disorder. So the list is interesting.




GENERAL
__ Fatigue, made worse by physical exertion or stress
__ Activity level decreased to less than 50% of pre-illness activity level
__ Recurrent flu-like illness
__ Sore throat
__ Hoarseness
__ Tender or swollen lymph nodes (glands), especiall…

When I say I am good

When people ask me how I am feeling 99% of the time I am lying. I often say 'not bad', because I feel it is slightly more honest than 'good' or 'fine'. Got sick of fine. Anyway, I lie for many reasons. 



I'm having a good pain day: They happen and I'll say that I'm good, fine, not bad. I even feel like I can accomplish great things... in moderation. In which case, relatively speaking, for Me I am not actually lying. This is a Good pain day, it is Not Bad for me and I am Fine with it. I just don't want to explain: I just don't want to explain how crappy I feel and in which way I mean. Because I am tired of it. I just want to deal with it, without having to discuss it, mention it or have any sympathy expressed about it. Because it can be complicated. It may be a migraine with specific symptoms. Maybe it is a FM flare though. Or both. And then I have to explain what it is because most people think my migraines are the main issue but I could be FM…