Skip to main content

Survival mode and pain management



There are a lot of people living in survival mode right now. It is not meant to be lived in. It is meant for short a duration. Yet due to lack of pain management we live in it. Every day is merely how to get through that moment, that hour, that day, that week. And nothing unnecessary is included in this survival mode. Go out with friends? No, no energy left for any socialization. Engage in a favorite hobby? With what energy? Exercise like you are supposed to? In what world is that even possible with the pain you are in, right? And then it would make it even worse for the next day. That is simply out of the question. No, it is get through work, crash and burn at home to suffer in peace. Over and over and over again. It is an existence. Not a life. And many, many people are stuck in this survival mode due to lack of proper pain management. I foresee many more will be added to the list now.

It is a dangerous state to be in. Often it leads to sleep deprivation because by pushing through the pain, pain levels are high, when pain levels are high, we cannot sleep. Leading to painsomnia and then sleep deprivation. Sleep deprivation and high pain leads to mood regulation issues of depression and anxiety. For me this was my danger-zone for suicidal ideation.

I lived in the zone of survival mode for years. It is a horrible pain filled, isolated hermit existence. And you feel there will never be any escape from it. Because in general no one has any real desire to put any effort into actually helping you. I have pain. I am having trouble coping with this pain. My medications are not working. And nada.

Is it to much to ask for some quality of life? Some actually life in there? Isn't it actually the aim with chronic pain to be able to manage our pain and suffering to the point that we can have a life? That we can socialize, which boosts our mood. That we can exercise, which boosts our mood and helps with chronic pain management. That we can maintain our work without missing too much; even if this takes compromises to achieve... that we need to make those compromises for our health. That we can meet our social obligations, family obligations? That we can engage in our favorite leisure activities. Stay within our limits and moderate our activities, of course... that is a must, but have a life. That we can function like a normal human being with limitations? Quality of LIFE.

If that is the aim then why are so many pain patients ignored? Treated like drug-seekers or drug addicts. Or refused treatment that could give them that quality of life. Or is that no longer the aim? What is the aim when they see a pain patient now? We will not really help you with your pain because you could be of the fragment of people that could become addicted, or maybe you are an addict... although they generally get their painkillers elsewhere... so I'm not really going to deal with that whole pain thing you have going on Just In Case. If you are not, then sucks to be you.

Pain untreated affects concentration, mental clarity, focus, short term memory, working memory and long term memory. Just not processing speed. More pain the more space in the brain is taken up with that and less is there for anything else. Try thinking through high pain levels. It is extremely difficult. Untreated pain basically means... lower income because someone likely will be forced to reduce their work to part-time or change jobs to something they can focus on easier. With treated pain it is the hope the person can maintain their actual work and continue on their career path with the right accommodation. It isn't always possible sometimes the actual treatment might suggest working part time. Sometimes exceeding your limits means downsizing the work.


Are we as a society condemning chronic patients to pain? Hell condemning them all as addicts when we all very well know not everyone is even susceptible to addiction, but labeling everyone drug-seekers anyway. Shaming them. When they are actually seeking relief. Is that what the opiate epidemic is about? Condemning patients to pain and locking them into survival mode forever. What does that say of us as a society that we find that acceptable? Let them suffer? Let them suffer because the 10% who have the potential to become addicted, and who are getting their painkillers from other sources and who will still have an untreated addiction problem... will not be able to get their painkillers from the source they were not getting it from the first place. So, then, all the pain patients, some with pain even I cannot fathom will have to suffer and suffer.

What sort of society finds that okay?

What sort of medical society finds that okay? Not looking to a patients pain and quality of life?

These are the things I want to know. I endured survival mode for a brutally long time. And almost didn't make it out alive. It is never meant to be endured long-term. The body isn't made for it. We cannot last that way mentally and emotionally. I can tell you how I got out of this state, but it required pain management and, hell, if I even know if that is possible these days. Not that pain management is all about medication, but it certainly is partly for people who have responded to no other medications that medication may very well be an opiate.




Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Signs the pain is getting the best of you

100 Symptoms of Fibromyalgia

There was a site that had this and I had linked to it on Tumblr but it is gone. So I had to hunt down someone who found my post and posted the whole thing in a forum. Anyway it is around but I'm posting it here so I will not have to hunt it down to reference it. Now we all know the major symptoms are the wide-spread pain, but our pain isn't just muscle pain... it can be nerve types of pain as well, and the fatigue and the insomnia. And even among symptoms there are some far more frequent than others, but it should be said we have categories... like the cognitive dysfunction, which is a broad one that has more than one symptom and we often just say fibrofog. The insomnia... more than one sleeping disorder. So the list is interesting.




GENERAL
__ Fatigue, made worse by physical exertion or stress
__ Activity level decreased to less than 50% of pre-illness activity level
__ Recurrent flu-like illness
__ Sore throat
__ Hoarseness
__ Tender or swollen lymph nodes (glands), especiall…

When I say I am good

When people ask me how I am feeling 99% of the time I am lying. I often say 'not bad', because I feel it is slightly more honest than 'good' or 'fine'. Got sick of fine. Anyway, I lie for many reasons. 



I'm having a good pain day: They happen and I'll say that I'm good, fine, not bad. I even feel like I can accomplish great things... in moderation. In which case, relatively speaking, for Me I am not actually lying. This is a Good pain day, it is Not Bad for me and I am Fine with it. I just don't want to explain: I just don't want to explain how crappy I feel and in which way I mean. Because I am tired of it. I just want to deal with it, without having to discuss it, mention it or have any sympathy expressed about it. Because it can be complicated. It may be a migraine with specific symptoms. Maybe it is a FM flare though. Or both. And then I have to explain what it is because most people think my migraines are the main issue but I could be FM…