Skip to main content

The pain game is not a game you win



No disability is the same.

I had someone comment to me on social media. 'You don't know pain.' And I replied 'I know My pain.' Because that is the pain I have access to. It is a private experience. I know my suffering. I know my pain.

And I know the commonalities we all tend to experiences. Things we all seem to struggle with when coping with pain. Like being in denial and still thinking if you push through you can still do what you did before. Or feeling guilty or angry that you are no longer capable of what you could do before. Guilty you are not as produce. That is what makes our individual experiences relatable. I have this pain, you have that, but we experience similar responses to it. Anger, frustration, anxiety, depression, acceptance, hopeless....

But we are individuals with different conditions. Their own pain, own pain tolerance, own responses to pain, own suffering, own responses to suffering and own coping skills and habitual coping habits.



We should never:

1) Deny someones pain or diminish it or minimize it: Like that fellow did for whatever reason. You know nothing of pain. You pain is nothing compared to mine. I wish my pain was as mild as That. You can't have fibromyalgia because your symptoms are too mild.  Some people like to diminish other people's suffering by making it sound like it is nothing compared to their Monstrous suffering.  It is rude to disregard and diminish someone else's pain experience, which might be quite a bit worse that you think looking in, just because you want to be king of the pain pile.


2) Don't play the pain game: No one know what these people are trying to win here, but often they never answer the persons question just up-pain them.

Person a: I am walking for exercise. Any other FM friendly exercise to try?
Person b: You are lucky, my pain is so bad I can't even leave the house.

Person a: I've had three migraines this week and it is getting to me. Anyone tried mindful meditation and would that help to relax me more you think?
Person b: You are so lucky to have that few. I have migraines every day, non-stop.

Some people like to prove their pain is worse than everyone else's. I don't know what type of award they are tying to win, but it sounds like a sucky one. But there are exceptions to the rule. In a thread where that is precisely what you are talking about; how sucky your day is, what your health is like... that sort of thing. It is not one-up-manship then, it is just sharing how you feel.

3) Don't Judge the particulars: because everyone is different some people's illness presents differently. And people sometimes think that means they are lying, exaggerating, don't have the illness at all or are suffering less as a result. They get judged for it. Debating the particulars isn't fair to someone who is coping with the same illness, presenting in a different way.

We are all different. So everyone we meet is having a complex pain experience. Mood, mentally, physically rolled into one. And that Pain Experience resembles yours in its commonalities but not in the particulars.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Signs the pain is getting the best of you

100 Symptoms of Fibromyalgia

There was a site that had this and I had linked to it on Tumblr but it is gone. So I had to hunt down someone who found my post and posted the whole thing in a forum. Anyway it is around but I'm posting it here so I will not have to hunt it down to reference it. Now we all know the major symptoms are the wide-spread pain, but our pain isn't just muscle pain... it can be nerve types of pain as well, and the fatigue and the insomnia. And even among symptoms there are some far more frequent than others, but it should be said we have categories... like the cognitive dysfunction, which is a broad one that has more than one symptom and we often just say fibrofog. The insomnia... more than one sleeping disorder. So the list is interesting.




GENERAL
__ Fatigue, made worse by physical exertion or stress
__ Activity level decreased to less than 50% of pre-illness activity level
__ Recurrent flu-like illness
__ Sore throat
__ Hoarseness
__ Tender or swollen lymph nodes (glands), especiall…

When I say I am good

When people ask me how I am feeling 99% of the time I am lying. I often say 'not bad', because I feel it is slightly more honest than 'good' or 'fine'. Got sick of fine. Anyway, I lie for many reasons. 



I'm having a good pain day: They happen and I'll say that I'm good, fine, not bad. I even feel like I can accomplish great things... in moderation. In which case, relatively speaking, for Me I am not actually lying. This is a Good pain day, it is Not Bad for me and I am Fine with it. I just don't want to explain: I just don't want to explain how crappy I feel and in which way I mean. Because I am tired of it. I just want to deal with it, without having to discuss it, mention it or have any sympathy expressed about it. Because it can be complicated. It may be a migraine with specific symptoms. Maybe it is a FM flare though. Or both. And then I have to explain what it is because most people think my migraines are the main issue but I could be FM…