Skip to main content

New anxiety



I have never had anxiety before. Aside from the anxiety associated with public speaking, of which I was terrified of. Anxiety about when my pain will hit has also never affected me. It will strike when it strikes and i will cope with it when it comes.

So it surprised me suddenly that I have been waking up with morning anxiety. It is like a surge of emotion, unpleasant overwhelming emotion, that socks it into my chest. Right as I start to wake up I get it.

These are the symptoms of morning anxiety as per Healthy Place:
  • Rapid heartbeat
  • Feeling weak, faint, or dizzy
  • Tingling or numbness in the hands and fingers
  • Nervousness, sense of terror, of impending doom or death
  • Feeling sweaty or having chills
  • Chest pains
  • Breathing difficulties
  • Feeling a loss of control
  • Fatigue
  • Insomnia
  • Trembling
  • Mental confusion
What I am getting is my heart is going wonky for sure, but what I really notice is this overwhelming feeling... that impending doom feeling. That is what I get. There is a feeling of loss of control. 

So what the eff is causing this anyway?

The article on  Healthy Place lists three things


  1. Cortisol- Essentially Cortisol, a stress hormone, is produced in the morning hours. If we are stressed, then more is produced and this makes us feel anxious. 
  2. Low blood sugar
    “Another reason why symptoms can be worse in the morning is because your blood sugar is low when you first wake up. You have gone all night without food. It’s important to maintain a constant blood sugar level because the brain uses sugar, also known as glucose, as its fuel. If blood sugar levels are too low or drop too fast, then the brain starts running out of fuel.”
  3. Environmental considerations: like loud environments and alarm clocks startling you awake. 

My psychologist believe the anxiety I have stems from thinking about the pain I have to work in that day. And it is giving me anxiety. I am not sure about this. Since the anxiety starts when i am barely even conscious yet. Just become unconscious and BAM anxiety.  

It does however, concern me. He recommended doing relaxation or meditation directly after waking to hopefully get these episodes to stop.  

I wonder if this is how anxiety begins... with these small attacks in the morning and it just builds from there. I don't want anxiety. So i will do what I can to follow what he says for it. It is just so unusual an experience for me. Interesting to note Cortisol levels in FM are higher than normal, so maybe that is why FM so maybe that is the reason and nothing to do with what I am thinking, since I am actually not even alert when it happens. 

All I know is that it isn't a pleasant feeling. When i get it I try to immediately calm myself down and relax. I fear it getting more severe, so right away I go into my relaxation mode. 
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Signs the pain is getting the best of you

100 Symptoms of Fibromyalgia

There was a site that had this and I had linked to it on Tumblr but it is gone. So I had to hunt down someone who found my post and posted the whole thing in a forum. Anyway it is around but I'm posting it here so I will not have to hunt it down to reference it. Now we all know the major symptoms are the wide-spread pain, but our pain isn't just muscle pain... it can be nerve types of pain as well, and the fatigue and the insomnia. And even among symptoms there are some far more frequent than others, but it should be said we have categories... like the cognitive dysfunction, which is a broad one that has more than one symptom and we often just say fibrofog. The insomnia... more than one sleeping disorder. So the list is interesting.




GENERAL
__ Fatigue, made worse by physical exertion or stress
__ Activity level decreased to less than 50% of pre-illness activity level
__ Recurrent flu-like illness
__ Sore throat
__ Hoarseness
__ Tender or swollen lymph nodes (glands), especiall…

When I say I am good

When people ask me how I am feeling 99% of the time I am lying. I often say 'not bad', because I feel it is slightly more honest than 'good' or 'fine'. Got sick of fine. Anyway, I lie for many reasons. 



I'm having a good pain day: They happen and I'll say that I'm good, fine, not bad. I even feel like I can accomplish great things... in moderation. In which case, relatively speaking, for Me I am not actually lying. This is a Good pain day, it is Not Bad for me and I am Fine with it. I just don't want to explain: I just don't want to explain how crappy I feel and in which way I mean. Because I am tired of it. I just want to deal with it, without having to discuss it, mention it or have any sympathy expressed about it. Because it can be complicated. It may be a migraine with specific symptoms. Maybe it is a FM flare though. Or both. And then I have to explain what it is because most people think my migraines are the main issue but I could be FM…