Skip to main content

Aromatherapy and Organic Aromas Diffuser




I have been given this product as part of a product review through the Chronic Illness Bloggers network. Although the product was a gift, all opinions in this review remain my own and I was in no way influenced by the company. "


I am new to aromatherapy and since I have migraines I have been very wary of it due to scent sensitivity and exactly that as a migraine trigger. But I have been equally curious about it as well since it seems like it could be very soothing and a great complementary treatment to try. I am all for adding different complementary treatments to my treatment plan. And scents as we know go directly to their own spot in the brain. They can ignite specific memories. It makes sense they can affect mood and be relaxing. But also I am very new to the process. So I had to dig around one of my go to sites to look for some helpful migraine essential oils to give me a start.

So I have the pleasure of trying out the Organic Aromas diffuser for my adventure into aromatherapy. For someone like me who is new to this process they made it very easy for me to figure it out for which I am grateful. We are talking no mess, no heat, no water and no noise. It uses pressurized air and so here is the diagram of how it works if you are curious. It is actually an interesting process. In the end you are using the pure essential oil, not diluted. I rather worried about heat... not having it monitored or being on long so this was a tremendous relief. And I left mine on for some time and it wasn't hot at all. Definitely no mess. You just add the drops to the top, put the cap on and that is that. And it is so silent that I don't think it actually makes a noise. And, yes, no water added at all.

The model called Radiance I have is quite aesthetically pleasing to me and has a light inside that constantly shifts in colors (LED mood lighting). It has a dark wood base and hand-blown pyrex glass.  I took a picture which is there above. And a volume to toggle how much you are diffusing. It has low energy consumption. One feature I quite enjoyed (2 minutes on, 1 minute off) was the auto shut off feature... That switches it off at 120 minutes. Ideally it says for a space around 800 square feet. I was using it in both my computer room and my living room/dining room and it was perfect for those areas. It is easy to port around so I took it wherever I happened to be. I suppose I could have just turned it up too. So it actually uses pure essential oil which I gather other difusers do not, and this makes it very simple for me to operate. And That I like a lot.

What I loved about it:


  • Totally aesthetically pleasing to me: The dark wood based combined with the hand-blown glass is perfect. Add in the mood lighting and this is wonderful to have around my house. The light is rather soothing in the dark. It just so happens I am a dark wood sort of gal. Any sort of wood on the darker spectrum is aesthetically pleasing to me. I was pleased with the look. I checked out their other models and this is my favorite. But they do have light wood ones as well and different decorate pieces.
  • I like the fact you are using pure essential oils with no water. And I like how the system of pressurized air to produce the flow of essential oils isn't giving an overpowering scent. It is just right. You can adjust the amount but I found it perfect at the lowest setting in my living room to be honest.
  • It is very quiet. I simply don't hear it running which is very important to me. Because my idea is to use this combined with meditation. Also with migraines I loathe background noise with a hatred beyond belief. I cannot stand when something that is supposed to be relaxing and when you plug it in it makes insane background noise. I mean seriously. So quiet is an important feature for me.
  • That auto shut off feature which I actually did happen to use as I forgot it was on one night. I am insanely forgetful. Brainfog plus fibrofog = living in a fog. With no heat I wouldn't worry overly in leaving it on, just that if I did it likely would break eventually. Like that time I left the oven on for days and it literally did break. Point is, this is an important feature for the likes of me.


The diffuser comes with an essential oil that is Organic Aromas Signature Blend. It has Elemi, Clary Sage, Cajeput, Bergamot, Chamomile. Oddly enough more than a few of these were listed in my research for migraines, so that is awesome. It is a soothing scent to be honest. It says it has a calming and sedative effect. Frankly I like that idea. And great that they add that in there. I was able to test it out right away. Then when I felt more confident I used some of the essential oils I had from making bath salts earlier this year.






Health central recommended essential oils for migraines is what I looked up to give me a general idea of what to give a go for this new process I was going to try out. I'm just listing a few that intrigue me right now given this is new to me. Here is a article on Healthcentral about aromatherapy that references more essential oils as well Migraine and Complementary Therapies - Aromatherapy

Bergamont- has a light citrus scent and is said to help with stress, fatigue, tension and anxiety. 

Clary sage- Is great for stress reduction. Often used to fight depression and can be combined with lavender. 

Eucalyptus radiata- Less strong than other forms of eucalyptus and can help with migraine congestion. To be honest this one caught my attention because I enjoy the smell of eucalyptus a great deal.

Jasmine- Used for pain relief, hormone balancing and depression. 

Lavender- Which in general is not a scent I enjoy but I think I'll give it a go with the sage. Good for easing tension, stress and sleep and head pain.

Peppermint- Who doesn't enjoy peppermint to be honest? Helps with nausea, which I really need help with, and improving concentration. 

I enjoyed peppermint by itself. That is very soothing to me as I enjoy the scent of all minty sort of things. Perhaps it actually did help with my nausea and certainly I will keep giving it a go. I also used the Organic Aromas special blend for the Clary Sage and Bergamont combo. And I also had some Clary sage and Lavender of my own from making bath salts, which I combined with Chamomile in a rather nice combination.

So far I can say for sure:


  1.  the diffuser isn't triggering my migraines. It does have that dial for intensity, and I keep it on the lowest which works for me. I worried about this. Any scent, that I like even, if really intense will give me a migraine. Then so does perfumes, incense sticks and many other things. But it smoothly spreads the scent around in an even way. Not overpowering. 
  2. The scents I have chosen so far also have not scent triggered my migraines. This is something I will try with the ones I have ordered for the future as well... Jasmine and Eucalyptus. I assume it is a trial and error to see which ones are working for you and which are not. And also obviously on days where your senses are extra sensitive, having extreme scent sensitivity and false scent information you would avoid this.  
  3.  I actually find introducing certain scents into my environment to be very soothing to me. It is actually really relaxing. And I think I will indeed do this with my meditation as a practice. It really sets the atmosphere. 


So my experiment with aromatherapy was a great success. I tried some great blends and they gave me no trouble at all. And the diffuser I got to try out is an awesome product; both aesthetically pleasing and very functional. This process has been quite beneficial to me. I think it will be great to experiment with more essential oils to figure out the different benefits to me. I think Aroma therapy as an awesome product worth buying for sure. I think I found some great essential oils already. This is going to be something I am going to do for years to come. Definitely on the list of things added to my treatment plan.
 
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Signs the pain is getting the best of you

100 Symptoms of Fibromyalgia

There was a site that had this and I had linked to it on Tumblr but it is gone. So I had to hunt down someone who found my post and posted the whole thing in a forum. Anyway it is around but I'm posting it here so I will not have to hunt it down to reference it. Now we all know the major symptoms are the wide-spread pain, but our pain isn't just muscle pain... it can be nerve types of pain as well, and the fatigue and the insomnia. And even among symptoms there are some far more frequent than others, but it should be said we have categories... like the cognitive dysfunction, which is a broad one that has more than one symptom and we often just say fibrofog. The insomnia... more than one sleeping disorder. So the list is interesting.




GENERAL
__ Fatigue, made worse by physical exertion or stress
__ Activity level decreased to less than 50% of pre-illness activity level
__ Recurrent flu-like illness
__ Sore throat
__ Hoarseness
__ Tender or swollen lymph nodes (glands), especiall…

Getting through the high intensity pain flares #Blogboost

The crowded me out of the brain. Making no room for anything else. Distraction was impossible. You feel almost frantic with the pain but must be still.

What do you do? To get through it when you have no distraction?

I ask me this as I am really in the depths of a 9 level frantic level of pain right now. Hoping maybe some writing will be a distraction, but it isn't. As I said, the pain crowds the brain. I have to focus real hard to write and my head isn't clear. Too much pain to focus well. Things become quite difficult to do. 

I will say this: We cannot function. We have to just cope with the pain.

But we are Immersed in the pain, we what do we do?
We can and should rest and get through it the best we can. Here are some of the things I do to get through it.

Relaxation breathing: I can't meditate when in high levels of pain. It just makes me think about how much pain I am in. Just not a good idea. But I do do relaxation breathing. I close my eyes. I focus on my breathing. I even…