Skip to main content

Why you should keep on going and not quit striving

Add subtitle text(1)
I have in my life coped exceptionally well and in those times of excellent motivation and hope I do things like:
  • routinely meditate
  • do regular physio exercises
  • do my regular exercises
  • maintain my work, mostly, as much as I physically can
  • socialize in my limited capacity
  • take my vitamins and supplements regularly.
  • I write in my gratitude journal regularly
I am doing all the things that I am supposed to be doing for my health. I am striving. In that striving I also try new things. Because I am striving to find things that work for me. My plan of action.
But...

We hit rough patches. We all do. Due to stresses in life. Due to horrible pain flare ups. Do to massive heavy fatigue. And our pattern falls to the wayside. 
It happens. And we shouldn't feel guilty for this. This is when we need self-care. 
But we can be depressed too, especially in high pain and our motivation suffers.
And then...
After that time is complete, we lag, we wonder if any of 'all that' we did was even worth it. If it even did anything for us. We stop striving. Sometimes we are lethargic with the fatigue. Sometimes we are disillusioned. Sometimes we are frustrated. Sometimes we have lost hope and it just seems utterly meaningless to us to us. So we lag... and lag. We hermit mode. We fall from our routines. 
But we shouldn't. Each and every little thing we do for our health is Meaningful. Sometimes all those things add up.
  • Some things help with stress and coping like meditation.
  • Some things help with depression and pain like exercise; and just movement of taking a walk is great for isolation.
  • Sometimes things help with emotional, mental wellbeing and isolation like socializing... doesn't have to be a lot or for long, but fitting it in there is important in ways we might not think about.
  • Some things help with depression, mood and cultivating a positive outlook like writing in a gratitude journal.
  • Some things may be recommended by our doctors, like certain vitamins. While other supplements may help even if we can't tell, certainly some are worth a shot. B12 helps with my nerve damage for example so I take that as regular as rain... until I fall into more deeper depression funks.
  • Fact is everything we do is beneficial to us in some way. It is progressing us. If we don't find it is useful, we knock that off the list and add something else in there. Forever striving for the things that work to help us emotionally, mentally and physically.
Therefore I think it is important when we get out of the funk of those flare ups, deeper depression bouts, intense fatigue to a) while in them do the things you can from your routines as much as you can and b) get back into schedule slowly and surely after you are through the rough patch. 
We are going to have some serious rough patches. That last days, weeks or month. If they last years... technically they are your new norm and you have to adjust your whole coping process. But for example a status migraine can last a month for me and I am functionally useless. I try to keep doing the simple things, on days I can manage, but other things are out of the question. Fibro flares same thing but they tend to last 1-7 days. When my depression gets worse, well, that is another story and the timeline varies. I try not to let it interfere with my routines but it Does since I lack motivation in all things. Or desire. In those cases I move onto my depression journaling more and my gratitude journal as more vital things at that time.
Some people rock their routines and do them no matter what. For me the higher pain, deeper depression and more intense fatigue can mess me up quite a bit. And I have had breaks where I wonder what is all worth? But I always know I feel better when I do my routines. In the end, that is what counts.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Signs the pain is getting the best of you

100 Symptoms of Fibromyalgia

There was a site that had this and I had linked to it on Tumblr but it is gone. So I had to hunt down someone who found my post and posted the whole thing in a forum. Anyway it is around but I'm posting it here so I will not have to hunt it down to reference it. Now we all know the major symptoms are the wide-spread pain, but our pain isn't just muscle pain... it can be nerve types of pain as well, and the fatigue and the insomnia. And even among symptoms there are some far more frequent than others, but it should be said we have categories... like the cognitive dysfunction, which is a broad one that has more than one symptom and we often just say fibrofog. The insomnia... more than one sleeping disorder. So the list is interesting.




GENERAL
__ Fatigue, made worse by physical exertion or stress
__ Activity level decreased to less than 50% of pre-illness activity level
__ Recurrent flu-like illness
__ Sore throat
__ Hoarseness
__ Tender or swollen lymph nodes (glands), especiall…

Getting through the high intensity pain flares #Blogboost

The crowded me out of the brain. Making no room for anything else. Distraction was impossible. You feel almost frantic with the pain but must be still.

What do you do? To get through it when you have no distraction?

I ask me this as I am really in the depths of a 9 level frantic level of pain right now. Hoping maybe some writing will be a distraction, but it isn't. As I said, the pain crowds the brain. I have to focus real hard to write and my head isn't clear. Too much pain to focus well. Things become quite difficult to do. 

I will say this: We cannot function. We have to just cope with the pain.

But we are Immersed in the pain, we what do we do?
We can and should rest and get through it the best we can. Here are some of the things I do to get through it.

Relaxation breathing: I can't meditate when in high levels of pain. It just makes me think about how much pain I am in. Just not a good idea. But I do do relaxation breathing. I close my eyes. I focus on my breathing. I even…