Skip to main content

Flaring and weather

ecc6d85ca56511e2905222000aaa031b_7

I am in a great deal of pain. My ankles hurt, the bottom of me feet, my knees, my hips, my back, my butt muscles.  My neck, my shoulders, my elbows. In other words take a picture of me and circle it, that is where the pain is. I would call it a flare, but I can't. It had been high for months. Just getting a little worse due to the cold weather. So I had a baseline of around a 6 and now I am in about a 7. It is hard to move, get comfortable, ever, any position. Have to flip constantly, sit up, lay down, turn over, it up. It is relentless pain. Unable to rest without the pain starting and then getting worse and worse and worse until you have to move into another position...and repeat.
Why is my baseline higher than usual? I have no idea. Sometimes it happens where pain just gets worse for a few years. Just happens. All I know is tramadol does nothing for it.
Why is it worse than my baseline lately? Well that I think we have to look at the weather.
Here is a good study to look at and the commentary
And then there is this:
The study found no association between weather changes and fibromyalgia pain on the same or the next day.
Further the onset or severity of pain does not predict weather changes on either the same or the next day.
The study also found that patients who had been diagnosed with fibromyalgia for less than 10 years had significantly greater weather sensitivity for pain.
Furthermore presence of anxiety and depression lead to an increased reporting of weather sensitive pain.
One the other side things that affect us in the winter are things like:
Rapid changes in temperature going Down- then air pressure decreases. Leading to the soft tissues and fluids around the body's joints to expand
Lack of sunlight can affect comorbid depression
Lack of sleep can affect mood, and fatigue and pain.

But maybe we scientifically have no link between FM and the weather. We do have temperature allodynia. And other forms of Allodynia. Point is the winter can be painful if we are not dressed appropriately. Our depressed moods from the darkness can make use feel worse physically. And we may lack sleep which can affect mood, pain and fatigue. So not weather per sa but associated with. 
Maybe we are just flaring more in the winter. And that is that. Maybe the flares last longer in the winter. Maybe it is the stiffness of the joints. Maybe the lack of exercise. My psychologist says pretty much everyone with chronic pain says it is worse in the winter. 
But a correlation between worsening weather and FM, studies have not shown it. The fact my pain is getting quite up there even with my tramadol and we have a snow fall warning for the area as the temperatures drop? Coincidence? Or not?
I should track my pain all year and see if winter is actually worse than any other time of year. I know this last couple of years my pain has been quite a bit worse but I don't know if it is seasonal. I have not tracked FM like I have migraines, which definitely get worse in certain seasons.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Signs the pain is getting the best of you

100 Symptoms of Fibromyalgia

There was a site that had this and I had linked to it on Tumblr but it is gone. So I had to hunt down someone who found my post and posted the whole thing in a forum. Anyway it is around but I'm posting it here so I will not have to hunt it down to reference it. Now we all know the major symptoms are the wide-spread pain, but our pain isn't just muscle pain... it can be nerve types of pain as well, and the fatigue and the insomnia. And even among symptoms there are some far more frequent than others, but it should be said we have categories... like the cognitive dysfunction, which is a broad one that has more than one symptom and we often just say fibrofog. The insomnia... more than one sleeping disorder. So the list is interesting.




GENERAL
__ Fatigue, made worse by physical exertion or stress
__ Activity level decreased to less than 50% of pre-illness activity level
__ Recurrent flu-like illness
__ Sore throat
__ Hoarseness
__ Tender or swollen lymph nodes (glands), especiall…

When I say I am good

When people ask me how I am feeling 99% of the time I am lying. I often say 'not bad', because I feel it is slightly more honest than 'good' or 'fine'. Got sick of fine. Anyway, I lie for many reasons. 



I'm having a good pain day: They happen and I'll say that I'm good, fine, not bad. I even feel like I can accomplish great things... in moderation. In which case, relatively speaking, for Me I am not actually lying. This is a Good pain day, it is Not Bad for me and I am Fine with it. I just don't want to explain: I just don't want to explain how crappy I feel and in which way I mean. Because I am tired of it. I just want to deal with it, without having to discuss it, mention it or have any sympathy expressed about it. Because it can be complicated. It may be a migraine with specific symptoms. Maybe it is a FM flare though. Or both. And then I have to explain what it is because most people think my migraines are the main issue but I could be FM…