Skip to main content

Achieving goals is surprisingly painful

go explore (2).png
I am serious with that picture... a moment of pain is infinite sometimes. Take exercise for example. I am achieving my exercise goal. Exercise for me is a painful endeavor. I assume because of the hypermobility syndrome and my extra flexible joints that refuse to stay where they ought to. I do physio for that but, nevertheless, exercise is painful. And slow to improve. Maybe it is the muscle fatigue and fibromyalgia as well. Hard to say.

What happens is I start off on my exercise bike and in about two seconds I am in pain and then it increases exponentially until I am in a butt-ton of pain. I slow down to a crawl and time slows as well and it feels like I am going by teeny inches. All the while wondering what hell is this?
At first, two minutes. Yes, I succeed at two minutes. For the first two weeks I did 2-3 minutes. This was before my New Years resolution or I would still be at that point, of course. Let's call that prep time, shall we?

Then one day 5 minutes! Holy smokes 5 minutes of infinite pain. But five whole minutes. Right at the New Year. I felt pretty impressed by this. The next day 3. But after that 5 again!

Then a mind-blowing 10 minutes. Wow. We are actually getting somewhere now. I think I broke a sweat. And here is where it gets interesting. Because after 7 minutes that infinitely painful excruciating pain? Numbs a wee bit. Down to not as bad of a pain. And that is how I get from 5 minutes up to ten minutes much faster than I did from 3 minutes to five minutes. It is like this threshold is crossed after a lot, a substantial amount of effort and pain. But that first 7 minutes? Never stops being insanely painful. I have to endure it every single time. It still took a bit to get to this point. But, I knew I could, because I have done it before.

Then slowly up to 15 minutes. Takes a bit because there is a lot of muscle fatigue going on here. I exercise in the basement and it is a sort of break time to even get up the stairs afterward.
Then ten minutes on Level 2 and five on Level 1. This was by accident but Damn I am amazed by this feat of awesomeness. And now that I can do it, I will continue to do it. It would build some resistance training in the muscle which I sadly need.

Anyway, my end goal is 30 minutes a day. And physio every second day. I was up to 20 minutes every second day before I returned to work and then, well, too much pain to handle that. Since I am not working I need to exercise simply to not decondition my muscles. As also part of my chronic pain management. So I am half-way to my end goal. Then from there establishing a routine. And hopefully improving on the goal.

What I hate about it, is that it is so damn painful every damn time. What I remember about the 20 minutes is that the start, as usual extremely painful, then it slumps for the middle, then it gets extremely painful again and that is where I know to stop. But I can't get rid of the pain in the beginning, though. I assume the physio is designed to stop that. Strengthen my knee joints, but it hasn't yet. It is just the physio I learned through the pain clinic and the place they sent me through my insurance. I am not sure they understand Hypermobility syndrome quite that well but I hope it will help if I keep doing that at the same time.

Also endorphins my ass. I don't get that feel good crap from exercise. I think it might be because of all the pain. I do get a sense of accomplishment. It does help with cognitive fatigue though.
On the plus side, music does help with performance. I get further with music than without. Mostly because it is a pain distraction.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Signs the pain is getting the best of you

100 Symptoms of Fibromyalgia

There was a site that had this and I had linked to it on Tumblr but it is gone. So I had to hunt down someone who found my post and posted the whole thing in a forum. Anyway it is around but I'm posting it here so I will not have to hunt it down to reference it. Now we all know the major symptoms are the wide-spread pain, but our pain isn't just muscle pain... it can be nerve types of pain as well, and the fatigue and the insomnia. And even among symptoms there are some far more frequent than others, but it should be said we have categories... like the cognitive dysfunction, which is a broad one that has more than one symptom and we often just say fibrofog. The insomnia... more than one sleeping disorder. So the list is interesting.




GENERAL
__ Fatigue, made worse by physical exertion or stress
__ Activity level decreased to less than 50% of pre-illness activity level
__ Recurrent flu-like illness
__ Sore throat
__ Hoarseness
__ Tender or swollen lymph nodes (glands), especiall…

Getting through the high intensity pain flares #Blogboost

The crowded me out of the brain. Making no room for anything else. Distraction was impossible. You feel almost frantic with the pain but must be still.

What do you do? To get through it when you have no distraction?

I ask me this as I am really in the depths of a 9 level frantic level of pain right now. Hoping maybe some writing will be a distraction, but it isn't. As I said, the pain crowds the brain. I have to focus real hard to write and my head isn't clear. Too much pain to focus well. Things become quite difficult to do. 

I will say this: We cannot function. We have to just cope with the pain.

But we are Immersed in the pain, we what do we do?
We can and should rest and get through it the best we can. Here are some of the things I do to get through it.

Relaxation breathing: I can't meditate when in high levels of pain. It just makes me think about how much pain I am in. Just not a good idea. But I do do relaxation breathing. I close my eyes. I focus on my breathing. I even…