Skip to main content

Fine line: Alone time and isolation

there-is-a-difference-between-being-alone-and-isolation-sometimes-we-want-to-be-alone-to-recharge-we-have-to-conserve-our-energy-manage-our-fatigue-and-being-alone-isnt-always-lonely

With a chronic illness having some alone time is fine. To recharge. Have a nap. For some much-needed self-care time. To engage in a hobby that is meaningful to you. This is fine because it is controlled and temporary. Not to mention introverts love alone time and need it to recharge. It is more being alone, than lonely. And there is nothing wrong with alone time. And some of us are fine with more of it than others. As the image says, being alone isn't always lonely.

sometimes-i-wish-i-could-just-be-and-maybe-i-could-manage-the-suffering-more-that-way-then-i-remember-in-times-of-silence-quiet-alone-time-i-dont-just-be-i

Too much time alone, when we self-isolate, for example, is not so good. It can become being lonely, and not being alone. It isn't good for anyone. Humans are social creatures it seems. It doesn't even take long to cause problems when they did isolation experiments. But we self-isolate because of stress, pain, depression, and anxiety. We feel too unwell to get out of the house and to socialize. It can make depression worse.
The University of Chicago researchers showed lonely and non-lonely subjects photographs of people in both pleasant settings and unpleasant settings. When viewing the pleasant pictures, non-lonely subjects showed much more activity in a section of the brain known as the ventral striatum than the lonely subjects. The ventral striatum plays an important role in learning. It's also part of the brain's reward center, and can be stimulated by rewards like food and love. The lonely subjects displayed far less activity in this region while viewing pleasant pictures, and they also had less brain activity when shown the unpleasant pictures. When non-lonely subjects viewed the unpleasant pictures, they demonstrated activity in the temporoparietal junction, an area of the brain associated with empathy; the non-lonely subjects had a lesser response [source: University of Chicago].How stuff works

A 2013 study published in the journal Psychological Science found social isolation increased people’s likelihood of death by 26 percent, even when people didn’t consider themselves lonely. Social isolation and living alone were found to be even more devastating to a person’s health than feeling lonely.Medical Daily
 
social isolation impairs immune function and boosts inflammation, which can lead to arthritis, type II diabetes, and heart disease. Loneliness is breaking our hearts, but as a culture we rarely talk about it.
Loneliness has doubled: 40 percent of adults in two recent surveys said they were lonely, up from 20 percent in the 1980s.Slate.com
So we are hermitting and what do we do about this?
It can be challenging to break this habit to say the least. We need at least one family member or friend as a participant. Or you go find them.
Some ideas are:
  1. On days you cannot get out and about you invite someone over to do something you like. Play cards, watch a Netflix movie, play video games or sit and chat over coffee or tea.
  2. On a day you can handle just a little suggest going to lunch or coffee with a friend.
  3. On a day when you can handle more go over to a friends house for a small gathering to do something you enjoy. Movie marathon? Game night?
  4. Pick something to do out in the world that you can conceivably handle if prepared.
  5. If you have hermitted for some time you may not have anyone to do anything with in this case: a) volunteer somewhere with flexible hours to be around people or get to know them. b) join a group like a book club, or if there isn't one, start one. There are usually clubs for various different things. Things you might want to try. It can be difficult in smaller areas. Where I live in a smaller city there is not as much, for example. So more likely, in rural areas for people to create a club and meet in the nearest town or small city. I remember I went to a writing club in a town and there were about 8 of us in it, but it was fantastic. c) try local places that may have game nights like at coffee shops... they play assortment of games you can get involved in in groups. Or start such a club.
As an introvert and someone with depression who self-isolates, I know this is a hard feat to manage. As an introvert, I am happy if I get out and about once or twice a month, though. I am rarely lonely. As someone with depression, I understand I do need to do it once or twice a month for the boost to my mood. There is no firm line on this though. You may need more socialization time or less. Extroverts obviously want more as this makes them feel energized, instead of rather tires. So it is important to an extrovert to find ways to connect to people even with health issues. Less likely they disconnected as much as an introvert.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Signs the pain is getting the best of you

100 Symptoms of Fibromyalgia

There was a site that had this and I had linked to it on Tumblr but it is gone. So I had to hunt down someone who found my post and posted the whole thing in a forum. Anyway it is around but I'm posting it here so I will not have to hunt it down to reference it. Now we all know the major symptoms are the wide-spread pain, but our pain isn't just muscle pain... it can be nerve types of pain as well, and the fatigue and the insomnia. And even among symptoms there are some far more frequent than others, but it should be said we have categories... like the cognitive dysfunction, which is a broad one that has more than one symptom and we often just say fibrofog. The insomnia... more than one sleeping disorder. So the list is interesting.




GENERAL
__ Fatigue, made worse by physical exertion or stress
__ Activity level decreased to less than 50% of pre-illness activity level
__ Recurrent flu-like illness
__ Sore throat
__ Hoarseness
__ Tender or swollen lymph nodes (glands), especiall…

When I say I am good

When people ask me how I am feeling 99% of the time I am lying. I often say 'not bad', because I feel it is slightly more honest than 'good' or 'fine'. Got sick of fine. Anyway, I lie for many reasons. 



I'm having a good pain day: They happen and I'll say that I'm good, fine, not bad. I even feel like I can accomplish great things... in moderation. In which case, relatively speaking, for Me I am not actually lying. This is a Good pain day, it is Not Bad for me and I am Fine with it. I just don't want to explain: I just don't want to explain how crappy I feel and in which way I mean. Because I am tired of it. I just want to deal with it, without having to discuss it, mention it or have any sympathy expressed about it. Because it can be complicated. It may be a migraine with specific symptoms. Maybe it is a FM flare though. Or both. And then I have to explain what it is because most people think my migraines are the main issue but I could be FM…